The leading cause of all disease, when examined thoroughly can be linked to chronic inflammation. Reversing and preventing majority of diseases can be done so effectively by reducing inflammation and the potential damage that it can cause.
There are many ways you can help decrease inflammation including managing-well/reducing stress, decreasing/eliminating sugar and processed foods from your diet, getting enough restful sleep each night and engaging in activities that bring you pleasure (listening to your favourite music, going for a walk outside, dancing, exercising, socializing).
The following list of SUPERFOODS (although you may not think of all of them as superfoods however I hope that you will after reading this post) has outstanding anti-inflammatory properties and are great additions to your daily healthy diet plan.
- Salmon ~ and not just any salmon but specifically wild-caught salmon which is rich in omega-3-fatty acids which are highly anti-inflammatory and essential for cardiovascular and neurological health. Its bright pink/red colour is thanks to a phytonutrient called astaxanthin which provides anti-oxidant protection that aids in cellular repair and immune function.
- Hemp seeds and Hemp oil ~ also loaded with omega-3-fatty acids as well as gamma-linoleic acid (GLA) both of which are important players in reducing inflammation.
- Fermented foods ~ including sauerkraut, kimchi, kombucha, coconut yogurt and kefir, miso and tempeh. They are probiotic powerhouses, providing your gut with good bacteria that is much needed not only for proper digestion but also for strong immunity, weight loss and flawless complexion. Maintaining a healthy digestive tract results in reduced inflammation in the gut and other organs of the body.
- Broccoli ~ this superfood contains tons of calcium and vitamin C and is particularly beneficial for fighting inflammation in the eyes, maintain clear vision.
- Spinach ~ another green veggie that is full of carotenoids which are anti-inflammatory antioxidants. It also contains vitamin E which is essential for lowering inflammation.
- Tart cherries ~ contain a powerhouse nutrients called anthocyanis which contribute to their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity. You may be interested to know too that tart cherries are 10 times better at reducing inflammation than Aspirin. Amazing!
- Walnuts ~ one of the best anti-inflammatory nuts full of vitamin E as well as omega-3-fatty acids. They’re a fantastic snack and particularly beneficial if they’re soaked first making them much easier to digest and assimilate their nutrients.
- Pineapple ~ contains an immunity boosting antioxidant called bromelain which is also helps digestion. They also contain tons of Vitamin C which helps to fight of viruses.
- Onions & Garlic ~ contain quercetin, a potent antioxidant that helps the body fight inflammation. They also contain sulphur compounds which fight illnesses by stimulating the immune system.
- Ginger & Turmeric ~ two of the most powerful anti-inflammatory spices around. Turmeric’s active substance, curcumin, actively reduces inflammation and ginger has pain-reducing properties that make it a highly beneficial spice for reducing pain and fighting inflammation.
So there you have it, 12 items to add to your grocery list and include in your cooking and healthy lifestyle to put out the fires of inflammation and improve your health one step at a time.
Please share on how you’re using these superfoods in your meals!
Written by Anna Lubaszka – Holistic Nutritionist, Weight Loss Specialist, and Transformational Coach